2017 is being hailed as the year of anti-contouring – Hallelujah *raises hands in air!* Contouring has had its time in the limelight. It’s time for something new; it’s time for the highlighter. I am totally here for the shiny new contender and all it has to offer. Let’s step back, highlighting is not actually a new makeup trend it has been around for ages. It has gone through more name changes than Puff Daddy, I mean P Diddy, I mean Diddy, Sean Combs etc… Okay so back to highlighting aka, strobing or illuminating, hit the fashion magazines early 2015. The trend didn’t gain full steam until this year, when all the runways were sporting the dewy no-makeup-makeup looks. The heavy chiseled lines of contouring have been replaced by its antithesis, highlighting – where there is neither precision nor lines. I love the freedom I am allotted when applying highlighter. There are no rules and you can pretty much apply it anywhere to the face or body for that fresh-fresh. If you already haven’t jumped on the illuminating bandwagon, then checkout my list below:
- NYX Born To Glow Liquid Illuminator – Gleam (PKR 1,149) is a multi-purpose highlighter/illuminator that can be used on its own or as a base under foundation. It provides a dash of shimmer giving your skin a glorious glow instantly. Tryout all the liquid illuminators by NYX.
- I just adore Makeup Revolution Pearl Lights Loose Highlighter – Savana Nights (PKR 950). The fact that this highlighter is loose makes it even more versatile than its creamy counterparts. Apply it as a powder with a pointed brush or mix it with your favorite body lotion for a radiant aura.
- I Heart Makeup is new to Pakistan. I have honestly only ever used their highlighter specifically, Hearts Highlighter – Goddess of Love (PKR 950). All I can say is I am obsessed with this triple baked highlighter, which is actually creamy and stays on my face all day. The color is also great, offering up subtle pinkish/peach tones that can be built up.
- Have you been searching for that outer space glow? Look no further than, Makeup Obsession Highlighter in Mars (PKR 400). I love the silky texture when applying this illuminator to my cheeks and collarbone. The shine is so extra that I only need a few dabs. A truly pigmented highlighting powder that can be seen beyond galaxies.
- To me the word youthful is a state of mind, not necessarily an age. That is why I love makeup. It allows me to bring out my inner youthfulness to my outer appearance. The one product that has really helped me feel more confident in my own skin is Hard Candy Glow All The Way Face & Body Luminizer in Doll Face (PKR 1,399). I wear this luminizer all year long because it does not matter the season, healthy, glowing skin is always in style.
Do you agree with me? Do you think 2017 is the year of the highlighter? Send me your favorite looks that you have created with strobing/highlighting/illuminating. I am always looking for a fresh new take on trends. Email me at email@example.com/blog.