I really love red lipsticks. I have blogged about them so many times. It’s such an empowering and liberating color, not to mention possibly the most romantic color on the planet.
I’ve blogged a lot about how to find your perfect red, but not necessarily on how to make your lipstick work best for you. Here are a few tips on how to make your lipstick really pop!
- Exfoliate. You definitely want to make sure that you’re cleaning and exfoliating your lips just as you would your face. There are quite a few exfoliating products on the market just for your pout, but you can also use a plain sugar scrub or a toothbrush to remove dead, dull skin. If you do use a toothbrush, you want to use a soft bristle one; medium to hard could actually bruise or damage your skin. You don’t want to get down and dirty with your scrubbing; you just want to gently whisk away old skin.
- Moisturize me: There are literally hundreds of lip balms on the market. Just4Girls.pk has a ton of great products to choose from. If you add a moisturizing agent like a lip balm to your lips before you apply liner and lipstick, it will prime the lips for you. It fills in any cracks and creates an even surface so you get a better lipstick application.
- Wait to apply your lipstick after you’ve done the rest of your makeup. I always tend to do my lips last anyway, but doing this will help the balm absorb into your lips.
- Lip liners are your friend. I’m so serious, and even though there are lip pencils and what not out there to help you try and skip using an actual liner, I still use liner. Another thing you can do with your liner is contour your lips. Sometimes I’ll actually fill in my entire lips with liner and then put my lipstick on top. It gives it depth. Also, use a clear liner or a lighter liner for your red lipstick. This makes it easier to cover up or correct any boo boos and still gives you a good line/guide to use when applying the actual lipstick.
- Apply your lipstick. If you’re using red, try to stay within the lines of your liner at first. You can leave a hint of the liner, but you don’t have to go over the lines completely. If you’re new with using red, then start from the inside of the lip and work your way to the outer edges. Take your time; better to go slow to beign with than to get in a hurry and have a huge red blob you now have to wash off of your lips and or chin.
- Blot, blot, blot. Please, please do not forget to do this, because I promise this is important and will help. This gets rid of excess color and eliminates leftover shine. I would use a small piece of toilet paper or blotting papers to do this. You want to choose something that won’t leave a lot of little fibers on your lips.
If you’re making a sugar scrub, you can use other additives to make your lips even softer. I have made sugar scrubs with olive oil and coconut oil as well. You can also buy sugar scrubs and lip exfoliants, but sometimes the homemade ones are just as good, plus you can use the money you save to buy more red lipsticks, right??
Today’s blog is going to be about my most favorite red lippies, all of which are available at Just4Girls.pk!
- Lancome Color Design Lipstick in Red Stiletto: A beautiful red in one of Lancome’s most versatile and popular formulas. This glides on easily and lasts all day long, plus it is infused with soothing ingredients so your lips feel soft all day.
- Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb in Ruby Red: This is a universal lip luminizer that looks good on and flatters all skin tones. It’s non sticky, which is a plus for me and it has a really sweet smelling peachy vanilla scent.
- Oriflame OnColour Cream Lipstick in Ruby Red: I love Oriflame’s OC Bullet and CreamComfort Complex. It really helps your lipstick go on perfectly and effortlessly.
- Amelia Liquid Lipstick in Red Passion: This is a cult-favorite liquid formula that is highly pigmented, long lasting and beautifully matte. I love matte red lipsticks; especially in darker tones. They remind me of velvety red roses. This is non-drying, which is fantastic because I really hate chapped, crusty lips.
- Amelia My Matte Lipstick in Dark Red: Amelia is a Spanish cosmetics brand with both professional and budget friendly lines. This is a super dark and lush toned red which would be perfect for fall.
- Milani Color Statement Lipstick in Best Red: These formulas are infused with nourishing vitamins C and A, so not only does it feel good and look good, it helps keep your lips healthy. The reason I love lipsticks that have nourishing factors or boosts in them is because there is nothing worse than a formula that dries out your lips. Some of them just stick on top of your lips like a film and leave you with scales and dry patches (which makes your lipstick look patchy to be honest). Not only is this a beautiful red, but it will look good on your lips all day long.
- Gorgeous Matte Lip Color in Relentlessly Red: I love the vibrancy of this color. This would be perfect for a wedding or date night.
- Bourjois Velvet Liquid Lipstick in Red-volution: This is a great liquid lipstick in a dark wine red. Pair this with some really gorgeous earrings or minimal eyeshadow.
- Max Factor Lipfinity Velvet Matte Lipstick in Red Luxury: Max Factor is one of the leading experts in cosmetics around the world. This is a gorgeous warm toned red color, it goes on easily and is long lasting.
- Maybelline New York Gigi Hadid Matte Red Lipstick: Gigi Hadid is one of my favorite models. She is so beautiful, carries herself so well and looks good in literally everything she wears. I love the Maybelline new York Gigi line, especially this lipstick. This is more of a warm toned red (can you see the orange tones in the bullet?), so if you’re warm or neutral, this would be a perfect shade for you.
- Color Studio Pure Matte Lipstick in Runaway Red: Color Studio is such a great brand, and I literally love everything they have! If you’re not ready to rock a bright red, this is a great place to start. Sometimes we have to work our way up to the color we want to wear, and this is a beautiful subtle red to begin with.
- DMGM Studio Matte Lipcolor in Red on Fire: Remember a few blogs back when I referenced the Madonna movie “Who’s That Girl,” and her signature Fire Engine Red? This looks a LOT like that shade referenced in the movie. I still find myself trying to find my own “Fire Engine Red.” How about you?
- Diana of London Diana Matic Lipstick: This is a semi-matte finish red with a thin, easy to apply tube shaped tip. This formula contains Vitamin C and E which will keep your lips soft and help reduce dryness and the appearance of cracks and lines in your lipstick.
- Stageline Lipstick in Hot Red: I love Stageline Cosmetics. They have a full line of professional cosmetics products, and their lipsticks do not disappoint!
- Diana of London 2000 Kisses Wonderful Lipstick in Red Nature: I love this red because it has matte iridescent and metallic flakes in it. I don’t know what it is about metallics, but I love them. This is a long lasting and lightweight liquid lipstick that won’t dry your lips out. Have you ever tried a liquid lipstick that just felt so thick and like a big piece of plastic or rubber was hanging out on your lips all day long? That is the absolute worst. This formula is so lightweight you’ll barely know it’s there. Tip: after application, give the formula about four or five minutes to dry.
- Oriflame Giordani Gold Iconic Lipstick in True Red: Oriflame is a Swedish Beauty company founded in 1967 and is represented in more than sixty markets worldwide. Oriflame is committed to sustainability and has taken steps toward reducing GHG esmissions and packaging waste. This formula is a satin finish (which is closer to matte than full gloss; sort of an inbetween) and infused with Argan Oil. Argan Oil is a superstar moisture agent, so you can be definitely sure that this formula won’t dry your lips out.
- Amelia Long Lasting Lipstick in BL2120: This formula has a cream pearl finish and goes on very smooth with no skipping. One thing I like to do with my reds is apply a couple of layers then blot. What this does for me is makes sure I have a good amount of color on my lips and then the blotting removes any excess color and also blends the color more on my lips. One thing that is very true about red lipsticks is that they show mistakes, dry spots and imperfections easily. Blotting helps keep that down.
- HudaBeauty Lip Contour Set in Heartbreaker and Shameless: This is a red-pink combo with a lip strobe to add drama and interest. Use the liner to define and contour lips, then apply Heartbreaker Liquid Matte lipstick. Allow that to dry and then if you like, top with Shameless strobe. You can also use Shameless on its own for a gorgeous nude look. Plus, the packaging is so cute.
- MUA Velvet Matte Lipstick in Crush: This is a gorgeous matte finish that provides full coverage all day long. This is an orange toned red, so this is perfect for warm to neutral skin tones. MUA is an amazing company that provides luxe beauty products at bargain prices. I really love the bullet shapes on this line; it’s like a beautiful ruby gemstone. Plus, it is priced so affordably you can order several different shades.
- Colourpop Lippie Stix Matte in Daytrip: Lippie Stix are so popular because they’re thin, easy to use and don’t take up a lot of space in your purse or makeup bag. This is a beautiful red and the formula contains skin loving shea butter and vitamin E as well.
- Colourpop Lippie Stix Matte in Parachute: This is a more orange toned red, perfect for warm skin tones and neutrals as well.
- Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Boldface: Boldface is a really pretty blue toned red that is perfect for cool skin tones. This formula is a bit more price wise, but I can tell you from experience that Lauder lipsticks last a long time. This isn’t just because I used to work for Lauder; I’ve tried their lipsticks against other brands and the formula is just so amazing. I have a pure color shade that I keep in my purse and even though I bought it over six months ago, it still hasn’t dried out and I still have a lot of use left out of it.
- Clinique Long Last Glosswear in Cupid’s Bow: Clinique is another brand under the Estee Lauder umbrella, with the same quality just lower price points. I love this shade, and if you’re wanting a really bright, shiny glossy red, look no further than this product. This has a sheer to medium color payoff, so it’s not going to be matte or super pigmented. I recommend Clinique Glosswear reds for those are trying to get comfortable with this color or who are trying reds for the first time.
Still looking for your perfect red, but don’t know where to start? Our Beauty Advisor, Jaweria Artistry, is ready to help you on your journey to finding the perfect red! Drop her a line today on Insta, or Message her on Just4Girls.pk!