Mascara has become my go-to beauty product. I don’t feel finished unless I’ve applied my mascara, and I know I’m not the only one who feels this way!
There was a time when I was clueless about mascara and even downright avoided it. This had everything to do with me feeling intimidated due to lack of product knowledge. That, and mascara always seemed to irritate my eyes and put me into a sinus frenzy.
However, when I had the privilege to work for a Cosmetics company, I found that mascara didn’t have to be a frenemy or something to be feared. Once I learned a few essential mascara rules, I was in a much better place overall when it came to choosing and using formulas.
Here are some mascara tips I’ve learned and some products I’ve gotten attached to along the way:
- Use a primer. It doesn’t matter what kind of primer you use, it’s always good to prime your lashes before applying your mascara. It helps your product last longer and look better.
- Waterproof doesn’t work for everyone. It took me a while to figure out that most waterproof formulas just didn’t agree with me. I had to deconstruct my entire face of makeup and apply and wear each item separately to figure out what was making my eyes well up. The culprit seemed to be the mascara. So I tried several waterproof formulas (in different brands) and several regular formulas (also in various brands). The result was that something in the waterproof formula didn’t work for me. I found this to be the same issue for many of my clients as well.
- Don’t use old mascara. I now have a very solid rule. I toss out whatever I’ve been using (whether I’m finished with it or not) after a month. This cuts down on eye infections, irritations and loading up my lashes with bacteria infested product. It’s another reason why I use travel sized mascaras as often as I can. You can make some products last for two months, but I stick to one month after I got a bad infection that cost a lot of money to treat.
- Don’t use testers at the cosmetics counter. I know Beauty Advisors everywhere will riot when they read this, but seriously. Don’t. It’s honestly better to get a trial version or buy the product and return it if you have an allergic reaction. Testers harbor bacteria and are exposed to so many people using them. Even when the beauty advisors do their best to practice sanitary measures, people still stop and help themselves to the testers (which is huge pet peeve of mine).
Here are my top three favorite mascara formulas:
- Lancome Definicils Mascara: I love how this doesn’t clump and makes my lashes look longer and fuller.
- Lancome Monsieur Big Mascara: This gives you a really full, false lash look and I adore it. It’s one of my go-to mascaras.
- Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara: It is so hard to pick just one Maybelline mascara product I love, but this is my current favorite. After all, Maybelline is the company who invented mascara as we know and it and who I credit with creating the mass manufactured cosmetics scene!
Which mascara is your favorite? Connect with us on social media to show us your lash looks! Be sure to use hashtag #Just4Girls.pk!