If you struggle with acne and oily skin and are beyond frustrated, then this article is for you.
When I was around sixteen years old, my Mother took me to a healthcare professional, and even though I was there for a completely different issue, the Nurse Practitioner noticed I had an issue with breakouts and oily skin. She suggested a skincare line to me, and explained that if I used it on a daily basis faithfully, then my acne would eventually get under control and go away.
I used it for about a week and nearly quit. It actually made my skin look worse. When we went for a follow up appointment, I was very upset and asked if I could stop using the products. With a little bit of encouragement, I decided not to give up and give the routine another try. After a few weeks, I could really see a difference in my routine.
The mistake I made was thinking “yay, my skin is clear, I don’t need this stuff anymore,” and quitting my routine. It took a few days, but my acne came back…with a vengeance. It took another month or so to get it back under control again.
One common misconception made by those of us who struggle with oily skin and acne is that we need astringents and cleansers but not moisturizers. It’s a common mis-step we often make, because we equate moisturizers with oily, greasy skin and fear that they are going to actually make us break out. Hence the reason why we end up skipping out on this very important product.
The truth is, when we use cleansers and toners/astringents, we are cleaning our skin but also stripping it of moisture. If we don’t put some moisture back into our skin, then our body is going to say “oh no, I’m dehydrated,” and then start over producing oil to compensate for the loss. If you use the right type of moisturizer, you won’t deal with breakouts and greasy skin.
Years ago, when I was a teenager and fighting acne, there weren’t that many true mattifying moisturizing products on the market. Plus, I lived in a very small town, there was no such thing as smartphones, and the internet was literally an infant during that time. There was very little online shopping available at that time, especially for skincare and beauty products.
Finding specialty products was difficult and required a trip to a neighboring city, which may or may not even have the product I needed. Sometimes it required visiting an even larger city such as New Orleans, Atlanta or Birmingham to get the items I needed. There were some catalogs that offered certain products, but again, this took literally forever. You either had to mail in your payment (some you could call with a credit card number), then you had to wait four to six weeks (or longer) to get your products.
Noxema was pretty much what I used daily, but it could be very drying for the skin. My Grandmother, Billie, would put a small bit of Olay moisturizer on my skin and then pat it down with Witch Hazel. This was literally our daily routine and it actually worked pretty well given what it was.
Acne is the most common skin condition worldwide, affecting millions of people on a daily basis. According to this Henry Ford Health System article, acne covers a blanket of issues from blemishes to cysts to blackheads and pimples.
These imperfections pop up when an abundance of oil and dead skin cells clog pores. This tends to trigger an inflammatory response, according to the article. Hormones and other environmental factors can contribute to acne as well.
One of the best ways to combat acne is to get into a really solid skincare routine that you can and do keep up with daily. I am here to tell you that it is easy to get discouraged and to give up on a skincare routine in general, especially if you’re fighting acne. Why? Because it feels like it’s one step forward, ten steps back on sometimes daily basis. It can take time to find the right products and combination which works for you, but once you do, you will see a huge difference in your skincare routine.
Here are some other tips the article gave for dealing with acne prone skin:
- Make sure you’re keeping your skin clean. I wash my face twice a day: once when I get up in the morning and before bedtime. I also use an exfoliating cleanser ( a gentle formula for every day use) which helps get rid of dead skin cels and unclog pores. Another tip: make sure you’re washing your pillow case at least once or twice a week. Bacteria and dead skin cells accumulate on our pillows as we sleep, and keeping that clean also helps keep acne at bay.
- Using products with active acne fighting ingredients works wonders. Ingredients to look for include: salicylic acid, retinol, and benzoyl peroxide. Zinc and grapefruit are great ingredients as well.
- Wearing SPF (oil-free is best) is a must because acne products can make your skin sensitive to light.
- Moisturize as we discussed above. This not only helps keep your skin hydrated but supports your skin’s natural barrier. There are plenty of great moisturizing products out there that are oil-free, but also mattifying. You really want to make sure you get a formula that is mattifying and specifically tailored for oily skin. Just because something says it is oil free does not necessarily mean it’s good for oily/acne prone skin. Learned that lesson the hard way as well.
- Be careful with the exfoliating products. Again, you want to find one that’s gentle enough for daily use, but don’t overdo it with masks, peels or even nose strips. It can damage your skin and it can strip too much oil from your face. Peels are something I absolutely LOVE, but are the product that can get over used and misused super easily. With peels, you want to do them no more than twice a week, and no longer than ten minutes per session. These are marvelous at clearing clogged pores and whisking away dead skin cells, but if you over use them, you can actually damage skin.
- Be patient with yourself: you won’t see results overnight. It takes time, but trust me, it is so worth in the long run once you get established into a good, solid routine.
- Drink water on a daily basis. Water is truly nature’s miracle worker. When we drink more water, not only do we stay hydrated from the inside out, but we also flush away impurities. I have noticed a definite improvement in my skin when I am drinking my daily recommended dose of water. I see less breakouts, my skin glows and I feel fantastic on an overall basis.
- Make sure you’re getting all of the makeup off of your face at the end of the day and don’t sleep in your foundation. I used to do a quick wash at the end of the day (and sometimes skip altogether unfortunately), and then wonder why I had breakouts the next day. You have to definitely remove all makeup before going to bed at night. Not only do you stain your pillows and bedsheets, but you also are giving your pores a prime opportunity to get royally clogged up by sleeping in your makeup. In fact, not only do I recommend getting a good exfoliating cleanser and micellar water to clear your skin, investing in a good silicone scrubbing pad or brush will work wonders for your skin. Silicone is easier to clean and sanitize, so you’re not making a bacteria farm on your face. It’s also why I like to use silicone makeup tools and blending items as much as possible; the less bacteria we smear on our faces, the less chance we have of getting nasty breakouts.
Here are some really great cleansers, moisturizers, and other skincare products for those with acne and oily skin. All of these great items are available at Just4Girls.pk!
- Ooh Lala Acne Clear Face Wash: This formula is designed specifically for men’s skin. It helps eliminate acne and reduce the appearance of acne scars as well.
- SL Basics Anti Acne Serum: This clarifying solution helps clear up acne prone skin. Wash face first, then apply this before adding any makeup.
- Caresse Glow Acne Free Oil Control Face Wash: This is one hundred percent organic, deeply cleanses skin, controls oil and helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Clinique Dramatically Different Hydrating Jelly: Clinique has really upped their game when it comes to moisturizers for every skin type. Once upon a time, the only moisturizer you could get from Clinique was the bright yellow every day lotion. I used that as a teenager, just like all of my friends, but it made me so sad because it broke me out horribly. I felt so awful, because all of my little pals were using Clinique and carrying their cute little bags, and I just couldn’t get the product to work for me. Fast forward to now and not only can I finally use the yellow lotion in its gel form, this formula is amazing for my skin also. The jelly texture is water based and oil free, so it’s not going to leave a stick residue or clog your skin up.
- Peter Thomas Roth Acne Face and Body Scrub: I love that this treats both face and body. Yes, body acne is a thing and no, you’re not the only person who deals with or struggles with it. Most everyone has some kind of body acne, and this product will help unclog facial and body pores, clear up blemishes and get your skin on the path to clearsville in no time.
- Peter Thomas Roth Acne Clearing Wash: This contains active ingredient salicylic acid, which helps stop the breakout cycle and removes makeup and excess dirt and grime.
- Peter Thomas Roth Acne Spot and Area Treatment: While it is good to have a solid cleanser and moisturizer, if you deal with acne, you’ll need a spot treatment. This is an extra strength non drying, non irritating, colloidal sulfur acne treatment. It also contains aloe vera, botanical extracts, Vitamins E, C and B5 as well as a glycolic acid complex. You also want to make sure you’re using a good SPF after this product, because while the active ingredients are great for your skin and for clearing acne, it can make you more sensitive to the sunlight and UV rays.
- Truly Komal Acne Eraser Facewash: This contains tea tree oil, salicylic acid, honey and hyaluronic acid. Tea tree oil and honey are natural antibacterial agents, so these help eliminate acne and breakout causing bacteria. Salicylic acid eliminates acne itself and the hyaluronic acid re-delivers moisture to the face. This is an amazing facewash, and it is super affordable as well.
- Evoluderm Anti-Imperfections Line: You’ll see me blog about this line a lot, because it is my current go-to anti-acne product. There are three products in this line, and believe me, they make a difference in your overall skin appearance and health. First, start with the Exfoliating Cleansing Gel. It uses micro-particles of rice combined with zinc and pink grapefruit to wash away dead skin cells, work as an astringent and eliminate acne-causing bacteria. Then, the Purifying lotion (your toner) uses the same ingredients to dry up acne and get rid of blemishes. Finish with the Mattifying Moisturizer; this puts moisture back in your skin so you can keep from having revenge breakouts. Evoluderm products are all natural and made completely in France.
These are just a few of the great acne products available at Just4Girls.pk. Need some further help, or not sure where to start? Reach out to our Beauty Advisor, Jaweria Artistry, today on Insta, or Message her on Just4Girls.pk!