If you do a quick Google Search, you will see that there are literally hundreds of thousands of people out there who are on a quest to find the longest lasting makeup products, who want to know how to get the most from their beauty box and how to make what they have go the extra mile and go the distance (aka make it through the work day without melting into a mess).
The truth is, most products on the shelves these days are formulated for long-wear and all day looks. The days of makeup that barely stays on longer than an hour are pretty much gone, because women are now working eight to ten hour days and frankly, don’t even begin to have the time for makeup that wipes off easily or sweats into your eyes and down your face.
However, even though we now have so many long wear products to choose from, they’re not miracles and they don’t stay on forever. There are ways you can extend the wear of your products (even the all day ones). I’ve made it sort of a mission of my own to help my makeup last as long as I can. Some days, I work and then I have events literally right after work so I don’t have time to go home and change my makeup out. I only have maybe a few minutes in my car to spruce up what I already have one. Whatever looks I’ve created in the morning often have to last well on into the evening, as I ( like so many other working women) am always on the go.
One evening, I went from my day job to another job and was mortified to realize that half of my face (not literally, just the parts with makeup on) had wiped away and I was looking a bit like a Picasso painting. It was partly from me touching my face and leaning against my hand (which truly is a bad habit for me to have, because I have oily skin and every time I touch my face I run the risk of adding bacteria to it which causes breakouts) and not having the right primers or other products on to lock my face in.
I was able to quickly salvage my look with some setting powder and blush I had in my purse, but I learned that skimping out on the prep work really isn’t the best way to go. That’s when I set out to make sure that whatever I had going on in the a.m. would always have the potential to carry on into the p.m., no matter what my initial plans were for that day.
Here are a few tips that I have learned along the way on how to get the longest wear and the most use out of your makeup products:
Exfoliating once or twice a week, or using a good exfoliating cleanser helps keep your skin’s surface smooth and soft, removes dead skin cells and dirt and can even help your skin look more even and clear.
It definitely keeps your skin healthy, and it also makes for a more agreeable “canvas” for your makeup products to go over. Think of it this way: if you’re sitting down to write something, or draw, and you put your piece of paper on an uneven surface, what is going to happen? You’re going to have bumpy lines, irregular format and a lot of darker pencil or brush strokes and debris all over your paper.
The same can be said for our face. If we are trying to apply makeup over skin that is riddled with patches of dead skin (which, by the way, flakes into your foundation just so you know) and clogged pores, it’s going to be even more evident in your foundation.
I am definitely aware that some of us have blemishes, moles, birthmarks and other things that makeup is not going to full cover up. That’s totally different, and that’s just part of your skin makeup. Those are the things (as aggravating as they might be), which make you, well… you! That is a totally different thing from having dead or dirty skin being covered up by makeup and products.
Here are a few exfoliating products available at Just4Girls.pk:
- Eminence Citrus Exfoliating Wash: This cleans and exfoliates normal to oily skin in just one step. I love that this uses lime juice to help remove impurities. Citrus fruits are one of the best things you can use in skincare, because most of them are natural antibacterials, plus they are rich in Vitamin C which helps brighten skin and even tone.
- Eminence Clear Skin Willow Bark Exfoliating Peel: These are round cotton pads loaded with a deep-cleansing clarifying peel solution. You could use these daily, but I would use them a couple of times a week. These help refine the complexion while exfoliating away dead skin cells.
- L’Oreal Pure Clay Red Algae Exfoliating Face Wash: I love these face washes, and I love how clean my skin feels after using them. This has micro beads which eliminates clogged pores, washes away dead skin cells and helps smooth skin.
- Evoluderm Anti Imperfections Exfoliating Cleansing Gel: If you’re oily, this is one of the very best cleansers on the market you could use. I would definitely grab one of these up. Active ingredients include Zinc, Rice Micro Particles and Pink Grapefruit Extract to cleanse, purify and help keep breakouts at bay.
You have to keep your skin soft and supple, or you’ll run into uneven makeup application. I used to be famous for caking on foundation on top of dirty skin and using no skincare products. I would complain endlessly about my foundation cracking and looking gross and uneven.
That was until I started taking care of my skin. Once I started using the right moisturizer for my skin type, it was a total game changer. Again, you’re still going to see lines, wrinkles and other imperfections in your skin and that is perfectly okay. It’s what makes us both human and unique.
Sidenote: Don’t be fooled by all of these Influencers and models in magazines. They have just as many imperfections, blemishes, wrinkles, lines and all of the in-between as much as we do. Many of them airbrush or alter their photos, use photo filters and also use super intense contouring and highlighting techniques in their makeup artistry to hide and cover things up. There is nothing wrong with this whatsoever; just remember that we are all unique, we all have things to celebrate about ourselves, and we all have to work at our own pace and do things which fit us.
Check out these moisturizers available at Just4Girls.pk:
- Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Power V-C Brightening Moisturizer: I love this because it has Camu Camu Berries in it, and that is a super ingredient. Camu Camu Berries have literally around thirty times the vitamin C of an orange, and its low weight allows it to aborb deeply into skin. This helps improve the appearance of skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- ELF Daily Hydration Moisturizer: This budget friendly moisturizer deeply nourishes and hydrates skin without weighing it down. It is enriched with vitamins and antioxidants to renew skin and lock in moisture.
- Neutrogena Moisturizer Water Gel Hydro Boost for Normal to Combination Skin: If you’ve got combo skin and need a moisturizer which doesn’t feel heavy on your skin, pick up one of these. It contains super ingredient Hyaluronic Acid, which gives your skin a dose of hydration.
- Evoluderm Anti Imperfections Mattifying Moisturizer: Budget friendly and perfect for oily skin, this product harnesses the power of Zinc and Pink Grapefruit to mattify skin while delivering moisture and bringing a matte and velvety finish.
3. Use Primers
Primers not only lock in your serums and moisturizers, but it
creates an even and ideal surface for your color correcting products, concealer
and foundation. Not only do primers help your foundation from being absorbed
into the skin, there are all kinds of different primers for different skin
types as well as issues you want to target. You do need to find one that works
well with your skin, because unlike moisturizers, primers are pretty much there
to make your face the best canvas it can be for your makeup.
Just like with painting (whether it’s a house or a creative project), primers aren’t meant to be used as foundation or the finished product. They’re simply there so your face has an extra layer of something that helps your foundation and makeup look better and last longer.
You can use different priming products on different areas of your face to target multi-issues, or to create a more three dimensional look. For instance, I know someone who uses a mattifying primer in her T-zone, a green tinted primer on her cheeks to combat redness and a regular one for the rest of her face. The end result is her makeup goes on more even, and she’s already color corrected the redness and taken care of reducing shine in her oily areas. This approach doesn’t work for everyone, but it does work for her. You just have to find one that works for you.
These primers (and more) are available at Just4Girls.pk:
- Makeup Revolution Relove Pore Vanish Primer: These are more silicone based primers, which some have labeled “Instafilter in a bottle.” It’s because the silicone base “blurs” your skin, reducing the appearance of enlarged pores and wrinkles. I love them, because they’re lightweight and really do enhance your makeup. However, if you’re oily, pair them with a mattifying primer like this Makeup Revolution Relove Super Matte Primer. It helps the extra oily areas of your face stay matte and shine free all day.
- Joko Glow Primer and Highlighter in Dangerous Women: I love primer/highlighter in one products. It just helps dull, tired skin look more revived and youthful in an instant. Plus, this one is super budget friendly as well.
4. Use Setting Sprays
I don’t know why I fought using a setting spray for so long, but I’m so glad I stopped fighting this. Yes, you definitely need one, yes, it does make the difference, and yes, it will help your entire look last much longer. You can also use them to refresh during the day and right before going out (if you’re going straight from work to an event).
Check these setting sprays available at Just4Girls.pk out:
- Makeup Revolution Pro Goddess Glow Setting Spray: This spray utilizes niacinamide and cucumber for a cooling effect which gives you a beautiful glowing look.
- Milani Make it Last Matte Finish Charcoal Setting Spray: If you’re oily, this is the spray for you. It locks in your look and the micro fine charcoal and silica powders absorb oil and reduce shine.
- Rimmel Fix and Go Setting Spray: This is super budget friendly, and is also a two in one primer and setting spray! Use it as a primer before applying makeup, then as a setting spray to lock everything in. This keeps your look intact for up to eight hours.
5. Blot, don’t reapply and don’t touch your face.
If you can’t help but touch your face all the live long day, don’t feel bad. I do it too, and it’s easier said that done to break this habit. However, it is a habit that is worth breaking because when you do this, you smudge your makeup, rub away your formulas and products and you’re delivering lots of little bacteria, dirt and grime to your face.
Blotting powders can help remove excess oil throughout the day, so you can help to keep things in tact without having to reapply foundation and powder. Sometimes the go-to is to keep powdering (which is fine), but you also need to blot in between powders. This helps absorb excess oils, which otherwise would be packed in tighter if you’re just powdering over them.
What product do you use to make your looks last longer? Share with us on social media and use hashtag #Just4GirlsPK! Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter! Need help choosing the perfect products for you? We are here to help! Reach out to our Beauty Advisor, Jaweria Artistry, today on Insta, or Message her on Just4Girls.pk!