Summer has come to an end, but not my oily, blemish prone skin. Usually in the summer I tend to breakout more due to sweating and heat exposure. Now that winter is here, it’s time to update my skincare routine and adjust it to the season. I have mentioned in my previous blogs that I am trying to go greener in my beauty routine.
I want to slowly eliminate all the products I use that are loaded with chemicals and harmful to not only myself, but also the planet. I have been talking to a few of my hippie friends and reading tips from other bloggers who are trying to do the same–using green natural beauty remedies. They all have been so kind and shared some of their best natural acne fighting secrets with me.
- Tea Tree Oil – This essential oil is amazing. First, it works wonders on acne due to antiseptic and antifungal properties. It also sooths and calms down redness of inflamed skin, unclogs pores, and kills bacteria. The face wash that has been recommended to me is, VLCC Alpine Mint & Tea Tree Gentle Refreshing Face Wash – 150ml for PKR 499. Or, you can use the essential oil on its own by putting a few drops on a cotton ball and applying right onto the zit itself.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) – is a miracle worker. Not only can you use it to help fight acne but it also does wonders for your hair. ACV kills bacteria and helps restore the pH levels of your skin. Tryout Freeman Apple Cider Vinegar Mask for PKR 356. Or, you can buy ACV from your grocery store. A great brand is Bragg’s Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, make sure it is raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized, and contains “‘mother” – which are strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give the product a murky, cobweb-like appearance.”
- Raw Honey – Just like ACV and tea tree oil, raw honey also contains many vitamins, enzymes, and nutrients that are antifungal and antivirus. I have been using, Yong Chin Honey With Papaya Herbal Soap for PKR 135. You can also wash your face with Saeed Ghani Pure Honey – 250ml for PKR 400. Washing your face with the latter is more expensive, but you get much more usage.
- Witch Hazel – is a topical astringent used to help skin inflamed from acne. There are many medicinal properties of witch hazel–which is derived from tree bark–such as, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. Try using, VLCC Witch Hazel & Rose Water Gentle Face Wash – 150ml for PKR 499.
- Brown Sugar – A great source to create the perfect homemade exfoliate. Take a tablespoon of brown sugar, a teaspoon of honey, and combine in a bowl. Apply mixture to face in a circular motion. Exfoliating your face helps reduce acne and scaring because it removes dead skin cells and allows new skin growth. Or you can try Andalou Naturals (Clarifying) Lemon Sugar Facial Scrub – 50ml for PKR 1,355.
- Aloe Vera – Is a natural gel like substance that is scrapped out of the aloe vera plant. The jelly substance from the leaves contains sulfur and salicylic acid, which have been proven to help reduce acne. Replacing your daily moisturizer with one that contains aloe vera can be very beneficial. I use Oriflame Love Nature Gel Cream Aloe Vera – 50ml for PKR 749. The Punjab region of Pakistan cultivates a lot of aloe vera, it may be more cost effective to buy the plant and create a homemade moisturizer.
- Cardamom (Elaichi) – Used in India and Pakistan for many centuries, this spice has the ability to soothe severe acne due to its antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. Pulse down equal parts cardamom and sesame seeds (1 teaspoon of each) and add drops of water until a paste is formed. Apply to face, leave on for 5 minutes, and wipe away with a washcloth.
- Chamomile – These leaves and flowers have been used in Chinese herbal medicine for many generations. To reduce acne sores and inflammation, steep a cup of chamomile and pour into ice trays. Place mixture into freezer until frozen. Once frozen, take cube and place directly onto acne spots. Rub gently on spots until ice melts or until it gets too cold. This not only kills acne-causing bacteria, but it also sooths redness. Or, you could also try Petal Fresh Whitening Oatmeal & Chamomile Clearing Acne Facial Wash for PKR 499.
Black Friday sales are going on this very second ladies! Buy the products mentioned above online at just4girls.pk/blog for cheaper than ever, or share your natural remedies with me at Sadaf@just4girls.pk/blog. You don’t want to miss out on this opportunity: saving the planet, and money! Can’t get any better than that!